Rain75° WeatherRain75° Weather

Dunedin man burned while using gas to light chiminea

Emergency workers gather at the scene in Dunedin where a 40-year-old man was burned Tuesday while attempting to light an outdoor fireplace using gasoline.

JIM DAMASKE | Times

Emergency workers gather at the scene in Dunedin where a 40-year-old man was burned Tuesday while attempting to light an outdoor fireplace using gasoline.

DUNEDIN — A 40-year-old man sustained burns Tuesday while lighting a chiminea using gasoline, fire officials said.

Dunedin firefighters responded to a call about an explosion just before 1 p.m. The man, whom officials did not identify, was lighting the chiminea in the back yard of a house at 719 Beltrees St. when the fire erupted.

The man was flown to Tampa General Hospital. His condition was unknown Tuesday afternoon, but Pinellas County Sheriff's Office deputies on scene said he would likely survive.

Firefighters contained the blaze.

Dunedin man burned while using gas to light chiminea 01/28/14 [Last modified: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:51pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...