Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Federal agents again search home of Largo puppeteer and child porn suspect

LARGO — Federal investigators returned Thursday night to once again search the home of professional puppeteer and child pornography suspect Ronald William Brown, but they wouldn't say why.

Roughly a dozen officers with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office and the Largo Police Department were searching the mobile home of the 57-year-old man who's charged with possessing child pornography and conspiring to kidnap a child.

"It's not over yet. It's an ongoing investigation that's evolving," said Homeland Security spokesman Nestor Yglesias, who was on the scene at the Whispering Pines mobile home park.

He wouldn't say what the agents were looking for. As neighbors gathered to watch, a forensics analyst with the Sheriff's Office removed three bags of evidence from the mobile home, then returned inside with a stack of bags to gather more.

"I can confirm we have found more evidence," said Guillermo Cancio, assistant special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Tampa.

Later in the night, agents emptied Brown's tool shed and took photographs of the items they removed.

Federal agents had previously searched Brown's home and computer. They reported finding lewd images of children bound and gagged, a flier for a missing child and "images of children that appear to be deceased."

Authorities say Brown had been corresponding online with Kansas resident Michael Arnett about murdering and eating children. Arnett also faces child pornography charges, and federal agents continue to investigate claims Arnett made to Brown that he had cannibalized a child.

"Due to the disturbing and troubling allegations involving Ronald William Brown, Homeland Security Investigations special agents are executing a second federal search warrant at his residence in Largo," Yglesias said in a statement released Thursday. "HSI continues to investigate these claims regarding cannibalism and child exploitation."

One of Brown's neighbors in the mobile home park, Meg Gambill, has been outraged to hear the accusations against him.

"Whenever you move someplace, you're never guaranteed that it's safe," she said. "But really? This is beyond not safe. This is sick and twisted."

Also on Thursday, a California man appeared in federal court after being arrested in connection with the far-reaching case.

Homeland Security officials said Jason Scarcello, 42, of Anderson, Calif., had also been chatting online with Arnett. From August 2010 to March 2012, the two discussed the abduction, murder, torture and cannibalism of children, according to a search warrant affidavit filed in the case.

Scarcello was arrested Wednesday at his home, where investigators reported finding computers containing sexually explicit images and videos of children.

"The images and other details we've uncovered during the course of this far-reaching probe are, without question, some of the most profoundly disturbing evidence we've ever encountered in a child sexual exploitation case," Clark Settles, special agent in charge for Homeland Security in San Francisco, said in a statement. "We are still aggressively investigating whether any of the suspects ever actually acted on their unspeakable dialogues."

Yglesias said federal agents also have made an arrest in New Jersey tied to this investigation.

Peter Jamison can be reached at pjamison@tampabay.com or (727) 445-4157.

Federal agents again search home of Largo puppeteer and child porn suspect 07/26/12 [Last modified: Friday, July 27, 2012 11:29am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Investigators reviewing HHS chief's private charter flights

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — Federal investigators are examining Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price's recent use of costly charter flights on the taxpayers' dime for official business.

  2. FSU gives president John Thrasher a pay bump as its academic standing rises

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — With Florida State University moving closer to becoming a top-25 public university, the school's trustees on Friday bumped up President John Thrasher's salary by 7 percent and awarded him a $200,000 bonus.

    Florida State University President John Thrasher, center, is surrounded by lawmakers in 2016 as he visits the Florida Senate. Thrasher on Friday received a pay increase to go with the university's increased academic standing, including in the latest U.S. News & World Report ranking of public universities. FSU ranks 33rd this year, and is aiming for a top-25 spot. [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]

  3. Pasco driver, 66, dies in Friday crash on SR 54

    Accidents

    NEW PORT RICHEY — A 66-year-old man died Friday after he collided with oncoming traffic on State Road 54 in Pasco County, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

  4. Florida reverses decision to shield information from nursing home inspection reports

    Health

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida regulators decided Friday they will abandon the use of software that allowed them to heavily redact key words from nursing home inspection reports posted online, choosing instead to link to the more complete reports available on a federal site.

    Officials for the state Agency for Health Care Administration said Friday they will no longer use software that allowed them to heavily redact key words from nursing home inspection reports posted online. The agency has been under increased scrutiny since Sept. 13, when eight residents of The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, pictured here, died after power was lost to an air-conditioning system during Hurricane Irma. Two more residents died this week. [South Florida Sun-Sentinel]
  5. Trump's travel ban to be replaced by restrictions tailored to certain countries

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from six majority-Muslim countries is set to be replaced as soon as this weekend with more targeted restrictions on visits to the United States that would vary by country, officials familiar with the plans told the New York Times on Friday.