Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Man charged in Clearwater park killing

CLEARWATER — A 22-year-old homeless man was charged with first-degree murder Friday in the early morning fatal stabbing of another homeless man as he slept in Glen Oaks Park.

Raul Santos Quinones admitted to police that he stabbed Anthony Dirienzo, 48, once in the neck with a 4-inch pocketknife, according to an arrest affidavit.

Clearwater police were called to the scene at 12:21 a.m. after a passer-by found the man in the parking lot of the park on Court Street.

Clearwater police spokesman Rob Shaw said police believe the men knew each other. Homicide detectives and forensics investigators from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office were on the scene about 3 a.m. Friday.

By 6 a.m., Clearwater police said, the body had been removed from the scene and investigators were continuing to gather evidence.

Quinones was released from prison on June 10 after serving just under four years of his four-year, eight-month sentence for aggravated assault with a weapon and burglary in Tampa, according to records from the Florida Department of Corrections.

At the time of his release, Quinones stated his residence as Extraordinary Life Church in Tampa.

On Aug. 9, he was arrested by the Largo Police Department on one count of theft of personal property by an employee and was released on Oct. 9 with time served.

Friday's arrest affidavit states that there is an indication Quinones has mental health issues.

Times researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Contact Tracey McManus at [email protected] or (727) 445-4151. Follow @TroMcManus.

Man charged in Clearwater park killing 11/20/15 [Last modified: Friday, November 20, 2015 10:03pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921