Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Man shot dead in St. Petersburg home invasion

ST. PETERSBURG — A 27-year-old man recently released from prison for armed burglary was shot dead Thursday morning during what police called a "home-invasion homicide with illegal drug overtones."

Police said that just before 3 a.m., three armed men wearing dark clothing and black masks entered 2100 Hampton Drive N, where Justin D. Green was babysitting his niece.

Soon after, his identical twin, Josh, drove up with four others, police said. Two of the armed men went outside and robbed them. While the people outside were being robbed, they heard a gunshot from inside the house. The armed men fled.

Police later found Justin Green in the garage, dead from gunshot wounds to the upper body.

"We know it wasn't a random thing," St. Petersburg police spokesman Bill Proffitt said. "We don't think it was mistaken identity."

Officials found a safe in the house, but it did not appear to have been tampered with. The robbers got cash from the victims outside the home, Proffitt said.

The incident is the city's ninth homicide of the year and the second in as many days. Two men were arrested Wednesday in connection with the shooting death of a 19-year-old man at a convenience store near Bartlett Park.

Green was sent to prison in 2001 for armed burglary and released in July, according to the Department of Corrections.

Family members said he was a changed man who was just trying to get on with his life.

"I know that they want to make him look bad, but he was amazing," his mother, Dawn Howell, 49, said. "He was a kid when he went in (to prison). He came out a man."

Green learned to read and weld in prison, his mother said. He didn't drink or smoke, his family said, and often fished or rode his bike.

Police did not release any information about possible suspects Thursday.

Neighbors said the family had lived in the Tyrone Landing neighborhood home for only a few months.

One of them, Jacqueline Wright, said she heard people coming and going from the Green home about 2 a.m. Thursday, when she let her dogs out.

It didn't alarm her, she said, because the residents in the house are typically "up at all hours of the night."

Staff writer Kim Wilmath contributed to this report.

Home invasion robbery, fatal shooting reported


View Larger Map

Man shot dead in St. Petersburg home invasion 10/01/09 [Last modified: Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:53pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. For starters: Rays vs. Blue Jays: Looking to make it 2 in a row

    Blogs

    Coming off Sunday's win over the Mariners - just their fourth in the last 16 games - the Rays are looking to make it two in a row tonight as they take on the Blue Jays in the opener of a three-game series.

    The teams played last week in Toronto, with the Blue Jays taking three of four.

    RHP Chris …

  2. Commissioner Manfred to visit Trop Wednesday for Rays-Blue Jays

    Blogs

    Commissioner Rob Manfred is slated to be at the Trop on Wednesday.

    And so is Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg.

    And they are scheduled to meet with the media.

    But before you get excited - or riled up - know it's not to make any big announcement on the stadium or the overall future …

  3. Bucs running back's gamble pays off for his mom

    Bucs

    TAMPA — When Peyton Barber decided to leave Auburn after his sophomore year, with only one season as a starting running back, it was a risky decision, one he hoped would let him help out his family back home in suburban Atlanta.

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Peyton Barber (43) takes the field with an American flag before a preseason game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times
  4. Officials say Trump's Afghan plan involves 3,900 more troops

    National

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's plan to end the stalemate in America's longest war and eliminate Afghanistan's rising extremist threat involves sending up to 3,900 additional U.S. forces, senior officials said Tuesday. The first deployments could take place within days.

    President Donald Trump speaks at Fort Myer in Arlington Va., Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, during a Presidential Address to the Nation about a strategy he believes will best position the U.S. to eventually declare victory in Afghanistan. [Associated Press]
  5. 'Cavern' closes westbound lanes on E Fletcher Avenue in Hillsborough County

    Roads

    Westbound lanes of E Fletcher Avenue are closed near the Hillsborough River to repair what the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office terms a "cavern" that formed under the roadway.