Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New Port Richey officer faces new investigation

NEW PORT RICHEY — A police officer who was recently cleared of a criminal accusation is being investigated again.

Officer John Nohejl, a 12-year veteran of the force, is accused of wrongdoing in an incident while he was working the midnight shift on Aug. 4, said New Port Richey Assistant Chief Darryl Garman. Garman would not elaborate on the new allegation because the investigation is ongoing.

"The information was brought in, processed and investigators were assigned to it," Garman said.

Nohejl has been placed on paid administrative leave while the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigates. The agency will give its findings to the State Attorney's Office.

Nohejl had been back on the job only a month since the State Attorney's Office cleared him of sexual battery. That accusation was made by a female acquaintance in an off-duty incident. Both Nohejl and the woman told the State Attorney's Office there was a sexual encounter. He said it was consensual. She said it wasn't.

The State Attorney's Office said it didn't know whose story to believe and decided not to file charges.

That was July 3. Nohejl returned to patrol duty the next day, and the department launched its own internal investigation of the matter. Garman said that process is complete and is awaiting a final ruling by Chief Martin Rickus.

Nohejl is the former school resource officer at Gulf Middle School. He got into hot water earlier this year when his MySpace page — intended to help him connect with students — was linked to sexually oriented Web sites.

The department investigated how the computer problem occurred but did not accuse Nohejl of any wrongdoing. He continued working at the school until the sexual complaint surfaced in April.

New Port Richey officer faces new investigation 08/12/08 [Last modified: Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:01pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Florida education news: Budgets, principals, vouchers and more

    Blogs

    VETO TIME? Gov. Rick Scott weighs advice on whether to reject the Legislature's education budget. • Pasco County school officials

  2. British Prime Minister May calls Manchester bombing 'a callous terrorist attack'

    Public Safety

    MANCHESTER, England — British Prime Minister Theresa May says that it is "beyond doubt" that Britain and the city of Manchester have fallen victim to "a callous terrorist attack."

    Emergency services work at Manchester Arena after reports of an explosion at the venue during an Ariana Grande gig in Manchester, England Monday, May 22, 2017. Several people have died following reports of an explosion Monday night at an Ariana Grande concert in northern England, police said. A representative said the singer was not injured.  [Peter Byrne | PA via AP]
  3. Trump condemns 'evil losers' who carried out Manchester concert attack

    Politics

    BETHLEHEM, West Bank — President Donald Trump condemned the "evil losers" responsible for the deadly attack on concert-goers in England Tuesday and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence.

    President Donald Trump pauses as he makes a statement on the terrorist attack in Manchester, after a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, in the West Bank City of Bethlehem. [Associated Press]
  4. Tampa Bay Times journalists wins 17 Green Eyeshade Awards

    Human Interest

    Tampa Bay Times journalists placed first in seven categories of the prestigious Green Eyeshade awards, which honors outstanding journalism in the Southeast.