Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Teen badly injured in gunfire at St. Petersburg birthday party

ST. PETERSBURG — A birthday party that drew 150 people Saturday night to a St. Petersburg neighborhood erupted in gunfire, sending four children between the ages of 12 and 15 to hospitals, authorities said.

One of them, a 15-year-old boy, was in critical but stable condition Sunday evening, police said.

St. Petersburg officers who were already near the neighborhood received a report of a shooting about 10:30 p.m. in the 3600 block of Third Avenue S. When they arrived, they tried to disperse the large crowd and found shell casings from more than one gun — but no victims.

As officers were still investigating, two gunshot victims showed up at Bayfront Medical Center and two more at All Children's Hospital, police said.

The injured were two 15-year-old boys, a 13-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy. Their names have not been released.

Three suffered what police described as non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigators determined that a person in a car outside the party had fired shots into the air. A person at the party then shot at the car, striking two 15-year-old boys. A boy and a girl at the party were also struck, but police said it was unclear if the gunshots came from the car or someone else at the party.

At the address police reported for the party, residents said Sunday they had not hosted any gathering there and pointed to a house across the street instead. No one answered the door at that house, and other neighbors either had no comment or didn't answer the door.

A St. Petersburg police spokesman said the gunfire may have been "prompted by an ongoing rivalry between two neighborhood groups."

Police said they have not yet made any arrests in the case, which they are investigating as attempted second-degree murder.

Staff writer Brittany Alana Davis contributed to this report.

Teen badly injured in gunfire at St. Petersburg birthday party 04/28/13 [Last modified: Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Comedian and activist Dick Gregory dies at 84


    The comedian Dick Gregory rose to national prominence in the early 1960s as a black satirist whose audacious style of humor was biting, subversive and topical, mostly centered on current events, politics and above all, racial tensions. His trademark was the searing punchline.

    Dick Gregory, a comedian, activist and author, died Saturday. [Tribune News Service, 2011]
  2. Winter Haven police investigating armed robbery at Dollar General


    WINTER HAVEN — Police are investigating an armed robbery Friday night of a Dollar General store on W Lake Ruby Drive.

  3. Rowdies settle for draw at home


    ST. PETERSBURG — The good news for the Rowdies is that they still haven't lost a game at Al Lang Stadium since late April. The bad news is they had to settle for a 1-1 tie against Ottawa on Saturday night in front of 6,710 sweaty fans.

  4. Bats come to life, but Rays' freefall continues (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG —The six runs seemed like a ton, just the second time the Rays had scored that many in a game during their numbing two-plus-weeks stretch of offensive impotency, and amazingly, the first time at the Trop in nearly two months.

    Lucas Duda connects for a two-run home run in the sixth, getting the Rays within 7-5. A Logan Morrison home run in the ninth made it 7-6, but Tampa Bay couldn’t complete the comeback.
  5. 'Free speech rally' cut short after massive counterprotest


    BOSTON — Thousands of demonstrators chanting anti-Nazi slogans converged Saturday on downtown Boston in a boisterous repudiation of white nationalism, dwarfing a small group of conservatives who cut short their planned "free speech rally" a week after a gathering of hate groups led to bloodshed in Virginia.

    Thousands of people march against a “free speech rally” planned Saturday in Boston. About 40,000 people were in attendance.