Overloaded extension cord causes house fire, displaces five in St. Petersburg

ST. PETERSBURG — An overloaded extension cord was responsible for a Wednesday morning blaze that caused $20,000 in damage and displaced a family of five.

No one was injured.

Fire officials say the fire broke out at the one-story home at 636 53rd Ave. S. just before 9:30 a.m.

Fire investigators say the fire started outside the home, eventually spreading inside to the living room, where it was contained in about five minutes. There were no working smoke alarms in the home.

Homeowner Sherry Keys, 49, was at work when the fire broke out. She returned to find her home in ruins and had to be taken to Bayfront Medical Center for anxiety, fire officials said.

The American Red Cross was helping relocate the family.

Follow This Just In on Twitter.

Overloaded extension cord causes house fire, displaces five in St. Petersburg 01/19/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:22pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...