Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pinellas doctor gets 15 years for sexually abusing teenage boy

Dr. Brian Webster Cook, second from left, listens as the mother of his victim, far right, reads a statement in court Friday. Also in court were defense attorney R. Lane Lastinger, left, and bailiffs Ed Griffin, center, and Dan Beck, second from right. 

CHERIE DIEZ | Times

Dr. Brian Webster Cook, second from left, listens as the mother of his victim, far right, reads a statement in court Friday. Also in court were defense attorney R. Lane Lastinger, left, and bailiffs Ed Griffin, center, and Dan Beck, second from right. 

LARGO — A Pinellas County physician was sentenced to 15 years in prison Friday after he pleaded guilty to charges that he sexually abused a teenager in his care.

Dr. Brian Webster Cook, 51, befriended the youth and his mother after they came into his clinic, then molested the teen over several years. Facing a possible life sentence, Cook struck a plea agreement that included 10 years of probation as a sex offender.

Cook met the youth in 2009 at one of two StatMed walk-in clinics he owned at the time. Cook also was an emergency room doctor at Palms of Pasadena Hospital and had previously worked at Morton Plant Hospital.

Investigators said Cook first had sexual contact with the teenager after taking him on a camping trip near the Appalachian Trail — and assuring the 15-year-old that oral sex was a normal thing for people to do. Eventually, the boy came to live with Cook.

Cook did not offer any explanation during his sentencing hearing before Pinellas Circuit Judge Timothy Peters, but his attorney said he had written letters of remorse to the youth and his mother.

The mother, who is not being named because of the nature of the charges, read a blistering statement about how Cook manipulated her and her son for his "sick, perverted sexual pleasure.''

She had been a victim of sexual abuse herself, had post traumatic stress symptoms and was suicidal at times, she said. Cook prescribed medication and even took her to a psychiatric ward for admission.

"You used your stature as physician, … your money, your education and your intelligence,'' she said. "You pretended to want to help, to mentor my son, to want to be my friend.''

The woman said she would have preferred that he get a life sentence, but "I take comfort in knowing that life as you knew it is over. Your precious medical license is gone. Your reputation is ruined. Your family and children know what a monster you are.''

The woman also praised her son for the "courage and strength of character'' he showed by eventually going to authorities.

Cook stood mute during her statement, staring at the floor. At times, he seemed to nod in assent.

He had originally denied the allegations, but investigators acquired a recording of him and the teen discussing sexual relations. Confronted with that recording, Cook confessed.

Times staffer Cheri Diez contributed to this report.

Pinellas doctor gets 15 years for sexually abusing teenage boy 01/25/13 [Last modified: Friday, January 25, 2013 11:09pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Philippines forces make gains in city under siege by ISIS-linked militants

    MARAWI, Philippines — Philippine forces say they now control most of a southern city where militants linked to the Islamic State group launched a bloody siege nearly a week ago.

  2. Rays exhausted but happy after 15-inning win over Twins (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — Before the Rays eventually won Sunday's 6½-hour, 15-inning marathon against the Twins 8-6, they did plenty to lose it. And we need to get that out of the way first.

    The Rays’ Evan Longoria enjoys a laugh after scoring, barely, to tie it in the ninth on Steven Souza Jr.’s two-out single.
  3. Tom Jones' Two Cents: ABC's Indy 500 coverage is stellar again

    TV and Radio

    Times columnist Tom Jones looks back at the best and worst from a weekend of televised sports.

    Best coverage

    Takuma Sato left, celebrates after winning the Indianapolis 500 as Helio Castroneves is a little late passing him. ABC’s coverage of the race is stellar throughout, with plenty of extras but no fake drama.
  4. Takuma Sato surprise winner of wreck-filled Indy 500

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Takuma Sato, a journeyman driver, became the first Japanese winner of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when he held off three-time champion Helio Castroneves in a 230-mph wheel-rubbing duel to the finish.

    Scott Dixon’s car goes over the top of Jay Howard, soaring so high that Helio Castroneves drove under it while it was airborne. Stunningly, there were no serious injuries.
  5. South Korea military: North Korea fires unidentified projectile

    World

    SEOUL — North Korea launched a ballistic missile early today that flew 280 miles and landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone, the South Korean military and the Japanese government said.

    S. Korean President Moon Jae-in is assessing the launch.