Plant City police make second arrest in death of Michigan man killed at gas station

Published April 18 2016
Updated April 19 2016

PLANT CITY — Police have arrested a second man in the April 8 fatal shooting of a Michigan man during a failed robbery attempt at a gas station.

Al'kwaun Ty'relle Nakiss Dixon, 18, was arrested Sunday on charges of first-degree felony murder and armed robbery in connection with the shooting of Michael Joseph Beson, 67, who was killed at the Mobil station at 2010 N Wheeler St.

Dixon is the second man linked to Beson's death after the April 11 arrest of Xavier Quesean Smith, 19. Plant City police have not said which man shot Beson.

The killing took place after the pair tried, and failed, to rob another man at a BP station across the street from the Mobil the night of April 8, police said. It was after 9 p.m., police said, when they approached Beson, who was pumping gas into his car while his wife sat in the passenger seat.

Smith confronted Beson at the gas pump, demanding money, according to police, while Dixon approached his wife. She refused to hand over her purse. Smith then walked to the passenger side of the car, police said. As the two stood there, Beson apparently reached into the car. One of the two men then shot him, according to a police report.

Beson was a grandfather and Air Force veteran who lived in Standish, Mich., a town of about 1,600 west of Saginaw Bay. He wintered in Plant City and was scheduled to undergo surgery this week for prostate cancer. Beson and his family hoped the procedure would give him five more years to spend with his wife, children and grandchildren.

Security cameras at both gas stations recorded footage of the robberies. Smith was arrested April 11 after a police officer said he fired a gun 2 miles south of the Mobil where the killing took place. He matched a description of one of the robbers, police said.

Smith faces a charge of first-degree felony murder, three counts of robbery, two counts of violation of probation and one charge each of carrying a concealed firearm, discharging a firearm in public and resisting an officer without violence.

Plant City police did not say what led them to Dixon. Both Dixon and Smith were being held without bail on Monday at the Hillsborough County jail.