Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Police have active investigation into website featuring women beating homeless men

ST. PETERSBURG — A local website hawking videos of half-naked women pummeling homeless men has caught the attention of St. Petersburg police.

Police say they are investigating Shefights.net to see if those arranging, filming and selling the fights — and paying the homeless to be assaulted — are doing anything illegal.

"Anything involving bodily harm to someone invites scrutiny to see if any laws have been broken," said police spokesman Mike Puetz. The investigation has been going on for months.

The St. Petersburg Times on Tuesday published a story about a lawsuit that has been filed against Shefights.net. The Southern Legal Counsel filed the suit on behalf of two homeless men who appeared in videos.

The suit alleges that the organizers recruited and paid homeless men to be tied and beaten on camera by women dressed in skimpy athletic tops and bottoms — or in the more expensive videos, even less clothing than that.

The men said they were paid $25 to be whipped and $50 to be beaten. They could not fight back and had to sign releases, they said. The suit seeks damages and a court order to stop the fights.

Neil Chonin, director of litigation for the Southern Legal Counsel, said the website is another in a series of setbacks suffered by the city's homeless. In 2007, the city came under fire for slashing homeless tents. Last year the City Council banned panhandling on street corners.

"All around the county, but particularly in St. Petersburg, they get trespassed, they get their property taken — in my mind, it's a further extension of how homeless people are being exploited," Chonin said. "Nobody cares about them.

According to the suit, 20-year-old Kyle Shaw was homeless when he agreed in January to let a woman beat him for 12 minutes for $50. He did it again in February. Both times, he said, his hands were bound. Shaw said he suffered broken ribs, a dislocated arm and a dislocated jaw. He said he didn't know the video of his assault would be sold online and in one case he wasn't even paid.

Another homeless man, 37-year-old George Grayson, alleged in the suit that he was offered the same deal: 12 minutes of violence for $50. Grayson, who has Asperger's syndrome, said he was desperate for money.

Homeless advocates fear the website is exploiting the most vulnerable — mentally, physically and economically.

"(They've) found people who were so vulnerable that the act of making this decision was compromised by a disability," said National Coalition for the Homeless executive director Neil Donovan. "That's pretty sick."

The civil suit was filed against Jeff Williams of Shefights.net, J.P. Florida Productions, "Cindy Doe" and "Jane Does 1-5." Williams told the Times that he plans to countersue. A message on Shefights.net said media accounts of the website are inaccurate.

"We won't be intimidated," the message said, "and these allegations against us will be disproved."

Police have active investigation into website featuring women beating homeless men 04/12/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:03pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Police seek public's help as they investigate third death in Seminole Heights

    Crime

    TAMPA — Police are seeking the public's help in their investigation of three suspicious deaths in southeast Seminole Heights during the past two weeks.

    Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan addresses reporters about the latest suspicious death in southeast Seminole Heights Thursday night. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL | Times]
  2. Listen: Soldier's widow shares her call with Trump

    Military

    Natasha De Alencar had just returned home on April 12 after making T-shirts and pillowcases in her husband's memory when the Army casualty assistance officer told her there was someone on the phone for her. It was President Donald Trump.

    Army Staff Sgt. Mark R. De Alencar was killed during a firefight with Islamic State fighters in eastern Afghanistan on April 8, 2017. His widow, Natasha De Alencar has shared the condolence call she had with President Donald Trump on April 12. [Image from video via Washington Post]
  3. Superiority complex: USF continues to battle schedule, expectations

    College

    TAMPA — His voice, a perpetually scratchy bellow, betrays conviction. USF coach Charlie Strong has been asked if he believes he has the 16th-best team in America. Hesitation doesn't precede his response. Resolution fuels it.

    Does USF deserve its No. 16 national ranking? Coach Charlie Strong says there's no doubt. He expects that his Bulls can match up with any Division I-A program. (Octavio Jones, Times)
  4. Guest column: Girl Scouts designed to help girls excel on their own terms

    Columns

    This column was written to coincide with the International Day of the Girl on Oct. 11. It comes on the heels of an announcement from the Boy Scouts of America that the organization will begin accepting girls.

    Girl Scouts like these, earning a patch at the Medical Center of Trinity earlier this year, are exposed to the best leadership experience in the world, says Jessica Muroff, who runs the organization locally. [Times files]
  5. Recall petition targets two Madeira Beach commissioners

    Local Government

    MADEIRA BEACH — A petition to recall two commissioners who won their seats in a highly contested election in March began circulating in the city last week.

    John Douthirt