Monday, December 18, 2017
Public safety

Port Richey city manager draws police scrutiny but no arrest is made

NEW PORT RICHEY — A 911 call led officers to the red Ford Escape idling in neutral in the middle of Astor Drive. The brake lights were on, both rear windows down, when they pulled up behind the SUV just before midnight July 13, a Saturday.

Reports say the driver appeared to be asleep at the wheel.

New Port Richey police Cpl. William Phillips noted in his report that he recognized the sleeping man as Tom O'Neill, the former New Port Richey city manager. Phillips requested help from the Pasco Sheriff's Office and Florida Highway Patrol "to avoid the appearance or potential conflict of interest," he wrote in the report, but neither had an officer to spare. Emergency dispatch sent an officer from Port Richey — where O'Neill is now the city manager — with a dashboard-mounted camera to the scene.

Officers tried unsuccessfully to wake O'Neill, so they called an ambulance.

Eventually, he came to.

Phillips noted in his report that O'Neill had "watery, bloodshot eyes, dazed expression, slurred speech and the odor commonly associated with alcoholic beverage about his person."

But instead of being investigated for DUI, O'Neill left in an ambulance while an officer drove his SUV home for him.

Reached Friday, O'Neill said he was experiencing a medical problem but declined to reveal what it was. And just like that night, he wouldn't say if he'd been drinking.

• • •

Phillips wrote that he asked O'Neill is he was sick or hurt.

"I'm fine," O'Neill responded.

The officer asked for his license and registration.

"I'm fine," O'Neill said again. He asked if O'Neill knew where he was, where he was coming from, did he have anything to drink.

"I'm fine."

In the 46th minute of the dashboard video, O'Neill emerged from the SUV, and walked, with his arms slung over paramedics' shoulders, to the truck's rear bumper and sat. The officer tried to start a field sobriety test, but O'Neill stared straight ahead without responding, according to the report.

EMTs decided to take O'Neill to Northbay Hospital for an evaluation, "citing the possibility of a stroke of other unknown medical episode," the report states.

Phillips, who has worked at the department since 2004, classified the incident as a welfare check in his report, which lists alcohol influence as unknown. No charges were issued.

• • •

O'Neill worked for New Port Richey for 35 years before becoming city manager in 2008. The stint was brief as he was forced under a retirement agreement to step down in May 2009. He became Port Richey's city manager in 2011.

O'Neill, 59, was charged with DUI in August 1996 and pleaded no contest, court records show. He was sentenced to six months probation, community service and DUI school.

New Port Richey police Chief Kim Bogart backed his officer's decision that night.

"(Phillips) decided potential for a medical emergency overrode the concerns about alcohol," Bogart said. "I can't in good conscience question his judgment."

He said he reviewed the report with Phillips and his supervisor.

"I don't see any additional things that we need to do regarding this particular incident," he said. "Whether there was alcohol in O'Neill's system or not, the officer didn't choose to go after that."

Reached in his office at City Hall on Friday, O'Neill said he arrived in the middle of the road late that night because he "had a need for medical attention" and that he was in the hospital again the following Wednesday because of similar medical complications.

"Those medical matters are between me and my physician," he said, "and I don't have much else to say."

Asked if he had been drinking, O'Neill declined to comment.

Defense attorney J. Larry Hart spoke generally about DUI cases, saying investigating officers have broad discretion in them.

"Keys in the ignition," he said, "are usually sufficient."

Times researcher Carolyn Edds and staff writer Jon Silman contributed to this report. Contact Alex Orlando at [email protected] or (727) 869-6247.

Authorities searching for missing Homestead boy, 13

Authorities searching for missing Homestead boy, 13

A Florida Missing Child Alert has been issued for a 13-year-old Homestead boy.According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, John Noble-Sinclair was last seen Sunday in the area of 300 block of Southwest 4th Avenue.He is described as a white...
Updated: 6 minutes ago

Search continues for suspect in fatal Clearwater drive-shooting

CLEARWATER — Police continue to search for the suspect after a woman was killed Sunday night in a drive-by shooting.Authorities said the shooting occurred around 8:15 p.m. in the 1500 block of Scranton Avenue.An unidentified 30-year-old woman was kil...
Updated: 1 hour ago

Wesley Chapel woman, 28, dies after crashing motorcycle

LUTZ — A 28-year-old motorcyclist died Sunday after she crashed near Lutz Lake Fern Road and Apian Way, Hillsborough deputies reported.Erica Kristen Rodriguez of Wesley Chapel was riding a Kawasaki motorcycle with a small group of motorcyclists eastb...
Updated: 12 hours ago

Woman, 24, hit by Land Rover, in critical condition

LARGO — A 24-year-old woman is in critical condition after she was struck by a vehicle Saturday night, police said.Khadijah Wood was walking through the parking lot of the Sandy Lane Apartment Homes on Belcher Road about 7:30 p.m.At the same time, Ju...
Published: 12/17/17
Murder suspect is on the run after fatally shooting a father, cops say

Murder suspect is on the run after fatally shooting a father, cops say

A first-degree murder suspect remains at large almost a week after the fatal shooting of a Winter Haven father.The Polk County Sheriff’s Office says Johnny Ray Owsley’s murder of 35-year-old Adam Thrower, called "Cook" by friends, involved Owsley’s e...
Published: 12/17/17

Two die in head-on crash on Gunn Highway in Odessa

ODESSA — Hillsborough County deputies are investigating a head-on crash on Gunn Highway that killed two and sent a child to the hospital Saturday afternoon.About 12: 45 p.m., Terry Lee Bronschidle, 70, of Tampa was driving his Chevy Traverse south on...
Published: 12/16/17
Firefighters injured after early-morning blaze at Tampa strip mall

Firefighters injured after early-morning blaze at Tampa strip mall

TAMPA — Three firefighters were injured early Saturday morning while battling a fire at a strip mall on W Waters Avenue, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.Firefighters said the blaze started around 2:45 p.m. in the attic of L.A. Nail Supply, located at ...
Published: 12/16/17
Pinellas sheriff’s investigator fired, could face criminal charges for involvement in child custody battle

Pinellas sheriff’s investigator fired, could face criminal charges for involvement in child custody battle

LARGO — A Pinellas sheriff’s child protective investigator has been fired and could face criminal charges after an investigation found she made a child custody recommendation to a judge as a favor to a friend.Jayne Johnson, who has worked for the She...
Published: 12/15/17
Deputies: Plant City men fled in stolen car, shot dog, hid in swamp

Deputies: Plant City men fled in stolen car, shot dog, hid in swamp

DOVER — Two Plant City men who ran from deputies and shot a dog were captured after a brief pursuit Thursday, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.They ditched a stolen car, ran away on foot, crossed through several yards and then tr...
Published: 12/15/17

Tampa bicyclist, 52, dies after being rear-ended by vehicle; no charges

TAMPA — A 52-year-old man riding a bicycle was killed early Friday when he was struck from behind by a car in Seminole Heights, according to Tampa police.The incident took place at about 12:15 a.m. Wayne Kersh, 52, was riding his bicycle in the eastb...
Published: 12/15/17