Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Port Richey teens accused raping elderly woman to be charged as adults

PORT RICHEY — The two teenagers accused of sexually assaulting and attempting to smother an 89-year-old woman earlier this month will be charged as adults, the State Attorney's Office announced Monday.

Carlos Fernandez, 15, and Luis Reyes Jr., 14, face charges of attempted murder, involuntary sexual battery, burglary and robbery. Authorities say the two are dropouts, but friends and family members say they are students at Ridgewood High.

Johnathan Rodriguez, 20, was arrested April 13 on the same charges.

According to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office, the three men broke into the woman's Palm Terrace Gardens home about 1 a.m. April 8.

The woman — who is about 4 feet 11 inches and weighs maybe 85 pounds — told deputies she confronted them, but they pushed her back into her bedroom.

She was punched in the face and body numerous times and raped. Then the assailants pressed her pillow on her face. "Is she dead yet?" she heard a voice say.

The woman fought back, according to a neighbor who talked with her later. She kicked one in the groin and the assailants fled.

She walked a few blocks to a neighbor and was taken to a hospital, where authorities were called at 6 a.m.

Less than a week before the attack, authorities said, Fernandez, Reyes and another neighborhood boy, Sean Maus, 16, took the hinges off the woman's garage door while she slept and got into the house. They stole a flashlight and took her red Pontiac Sunfire "for a joyride." The car was recovered.

Maus, who neighbors say helped the woman around the house but bragged that he stole money from her pocketbook, was charged in the joyride but not in the attack.

Helen Anne Travis can be reached at htravis@sptimes.com or (813) 435-7312.

Port Richey teens accused raping elderly woman to be charged as adults 04/20/09 [Last modified: Monday, April 20, 2009 10:31pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Pasco sheriff's team of volunteer Jeep drivers go where few dare

    Public Safety

    Times Staff Writer

    He got the text in the middle of treating patients. He was needed in the morning — and so was his dark blue 2002 Jeep Wrangler.

    The Pasco County Sheriff's Office's newly-formed Volunteer Jeep Search and Rescue Unit stops for a moment to wait for fellow Jeep drivers to catch up during a mock search-and-rescue exercise and off-road training in Shady Hills in June. [CHARLIE KAIJO   |   Times]
  2. What you need to know for Friday, July 28

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Jermaine Ferguson takes the $5 entry fee from a visitor at Fort De Soto Park on Wednesday. Pasco County has done away with recession era park fees. What about Pinellas and Hillsborough counties? [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. The Killers coming to Hard Rock Live in Orlando

    Blogs

    They're reliable festival headliners, and they're about to embark on a North American arena tour.

    The KIllers
  4. Back to School 2017: What you need to know

    News

    With the start of classes less than three weeks away, the Tampa Bay Times' back-to-school special report debuts today.

    The Times' annual back-to-school coverage debuts today with information families can use to start the new year. [Times files]
  5. Hillsborough and Pinellas to keep park entry fees, while Pasco makes them free again

    Local Government

    One thing stands between Mark Crawford and the mackerel schooling in the topaz saltwater around the pier at Fort De Soto Park: a toll booth. And even if the lady inside is as sweet as orange blossom honey, she still wants his five dollars.

    Jermaine Ferguson takes the $5 entry fee from a visitor at Fort De Soto Park on Wednesday. Pasco County has done away with recession era park fees, but Hillsborough and Pinellas county plan to continue to charge people to use parks like Fort De Soto and Lettuce Lake Park. LARA CERRI   |   Times