TAMPA — There were only six murders in Tampa during the first six months of 2009.
Since July 1, though, there have been eight more, for a total of 14. That's still fewer than the 20 homicides that occurred over the same period in 2008. The details:
• July 12: Carlos Humberto Ibanez, 36, is shot by a man who says Ibanez tried to break into his home. This case may be ruled a justifiable homicide.
• July 28: Yoandy Cancio, 21, is shot during an argument. Police charge Alexis Rivera Nunez with second-degree murder.
• Aug. 1: Paul Edward Thompson, 45, is found dead of blunt trauma in the Alamo Motel. Unsolved.
• Aug. 8: Alquan Garner, 23, a bystander, dies when a fight breaks out at a food cart and someone starts shooting. Two men are arrested.
• Aug. 15: Dina Martin, 26, and Rickey Renard Bifford Jr., 27, are found dead in their homes after a police standoff with Martin's boyfriend, Robert Velazquez, ends in suicide. (Bifford lived outside city limits.)
• Aug. 18: Katrina Locicero, 45, is stabbed to death in Sulphur Springs. Her boyfriend is arrested.
• Aug. 19: University of Tampa student Ryan P. McCall, 21, is shot during a robbery, case unsolved; Tampa police officer shot, suspect arrested.