Clear65° FULL FORECASTClear65° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Smoke alarm saves Tampa man

TAMPA — Emmanuel Sims went to bed Saturday after turning on four space heaters around his house.

He set one in an empty bedroom a little too close to the bed linens, Tampa Fire Rescue officials said.

Predawn Sunday, his house at 8117 N 19th St. went up in a blaze. A smoke alarm woke him, possibly saving his life, fire officials said in a statement.

Flames consumed about half of the house but firefighters were able to put the fire down in about 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.

Damages could surpass $60,000. Sims, 64, is staying with friends, fire officials said.

Justin George can be reached at (813) 226-3368 or jgeorge@sptimes.com.

Smoke alarm saves Tampa man 01/10/10 [Last modified: Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...