Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Space heater ignites bedding, severely damages woman's home

TAMPA — A fire heavily damaged the home of a 71-year-old woman Tuesday afternoon after a space heater ignited her bed, Tampa Fire Rescue officials said.

Ethel Ellison of 3207 N Nebraska Ave., told firefighters that at 5:23 p.m. she was in bed with the space heater on when the end of the bed burst into flames. She was able to get out of the house and paramedics treated her for minor smoke inhalation, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

Fire Marshals determined the space heater was too close to the bed and caused an accidental fire. An estimate of the loss was not available.

Officials said the public should remember that space heaters need at least three feet of open area free of linens, furniture and clothing to prevent house fires.

Space heater ignites bedding, severely damages woman's home 03/02/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:55pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours