Clear72° FULL FORECASTClear72° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

St. Petersburg police arrest second man in fatal home invasion

ST. PETERSBURG — Police have made a second arrest in a home-invasion robbery in which a man was killed earlier this year.

Detectives arrested 23-year-old fugitive Justin Maurice Hart on charges of first-degree murder and violating probation in a burglary case.

Hart was found Wednesday afternoon at an apartment in the 3700 block of Ninth Avenue N, St. Petersburg police spokesman Mike Puetz said.

"When asked for his name, he replied: 'It's me you're looking for,' " Puetz said.

Hart was part of a group of masked and armed men who burst into a home at 7014 Orpine Drive early June 19, police said.

The men shouted "Police! Police! Police!" as they stormed the front door and demanded money and drugs. They shot homeowner Richard Shaw in the chest in front of his adult son.

Shaw, 41, died a short time later at Northside Hospital. His son was unharmed.

Police made their first arrest in the case nearly two months ago. Charles C. Stone, 28, was booked Aug. 10 into the Pinellas County jail on a first-degree murder charge.

Puetz said a witness implicated both men in the crime. More arrests are expected, he said.

According to an arrest warrant, police interviewed Hart in August, and he said he participated in the home invasion. Shortly afterward, a grand jury indicted Hart, but police weren't able to find him until recently.

Hart was released from prison in 2010 after serving time for assault and burglary. He remained in the Pinellas County Jail without bail Thursday.

St. Petersburg police arrest second man in fatal home invasion 10/04/12 [Last modified: Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:09pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...