Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Stolen $15 copper wire nets a costly loss

Habitat volunteer Gene Wehr cuts remaining wires the morning after the wire was stolen. The house must now be rewired.

MICHAEL SANSERINO | Times

Habitat volunteer Gene Wehr cuts remaining wires the morning after the wire was stolen. The house must now be rewired.

BROOKSVILLE — A $15 copper-wire heist will cost Habitat for Humanity $1,500 and an extra week or two of work, leaving a woman and her 18-year-old daughter waiting to move into their new home.

Christine Rideout, 45, got a call Wednesday morning informing her that her house, being built by Habitat for Humanity in the 16000 block of Boca Raton Street, had been burglarized.

Rideout and her daughter, Alexandra, have been on Habitat's waiting list for three years and will now have to wait until August or September to move from their apartment to the home. They were hoping to move in by July.

"We were so close," Alexandra said.

Sometime between 11 a.m. Tuesday and 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, an unspecified number of intruders broke the back window of the one-story house and cut wiring from the electrical box, said Alex Quintard, construction supervisor for Habitat for Humanity of Hernando County.

Quintard said whoever stole the wire didn't know what they were doing. The thief, or thieves, left the most valuable sections of the copper wiring intact, stealing just $15 worth of the increasingly valuable metal, he said. But because of where the wires were cut, Habitat volunteers must rewire the entire house.

Christine and Alexandra had hoped to find a home in Florida a few years ago when they escaped the cold winters of western New York State. But a spike in home prices changed those plans.

Instead, the two have been renting an apartment in Spring Hill, though Christine said the rent is too expensive. She works from home for two separate business and will pay a mortgage on the new house.

"The longer we take, the longer they struggle to live where they are," Quintard said.

He said he hopes donations to the Christian-based organization will help offset the cost of the rewiring. Thrivent Financial for Lutherans paid for 75 percent of the home, and Habitat the remaining 25 percent. Quintard said Habitat would use its own funds to pay for the wire.

Hernando sheriff's deputies investigated Wednesday morning, but found little information that could help them determine who stole the wire, said spokeswoman Sgt. Donna Black.

Hernando Builders Association president Dudley Hampton Jr., said copper wire theft is "the number-one theft on our job sites, what little job sites there are out there."

Someone even stole copper wire from the association's air conditioner, though that thief was eventually caught, he said.

Hampton thinks the surge in copper prices and high unemployment have caused the spike in copper thefts.

"That doesn't make it right by any means," he said.

Some builders have installed motion-activated cameras on their work sites to deter thieves.

Hampton also thinks metal recyclers could help by refusing to buy any copper wire they believe is stolen.

Michael Sanserino can be reached at msanserino@sptimes.com or (352) 848-1430.

Stolen $15 copper wire nets a costly loss 06/25/08 [Last modified: Friday, June 27, 2008 6:57pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Directors of Haunted Mansion doc talk bringing piece of Disney history to Orlando

    Blogs

    Filmmakers Ryan Grulich and James H. Carter II aren't just casual fans of The Haunted Mansion ride. They're obsessed.

    Publicity still from the Foolish Mortals documentary.
  2. Woman found dead after fire broke out in Hudson home

    Fire

    HUDSON — An elderly Hudson woman was found dead after a fire broke out at a home Tuesday morning, Pasco County Fire Rescue officials said.

  3. Major earthquake shakes Mexico City

    World

    MEXICO CITY — A powerful earthquake jolted Mexico City on Tuesday, causing buildings to sway sickeningly on the anniversary of a 1985 quake that did major damage to the capital.

  4. For starters: Rays vs. Cubs in Joe Maddon's return to Trop

    Blogs

    Joe Maddon's return to the Trop will be the main story tonight, but there is still a baseball game to be played, between a Cubs team surging toward another division title with six straight wins and a Rays team struggling to keep alive a longshot bid for the second AL wildcard spot.

    RHP Chris Archer will be on …

  5. Review: 'Channel Zero: No-End House' pumps up the prestige horror

    Blogs

    In its second season, Channel Zero cements itself as one of the scariest shows on television.

    Amy Forsyth in Channel Zero: No-End House.