Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa Police issue warrant for fourth man wanted in violent attack near MacDill

TAMPA — Police are searching for the fourth man accused of violently mugging Army Sgt. Johnny Aparicio on May 13 in an attack that was caught on camera and triggered an outpouring of national sympathy.

A warrant was issued for Brandon J. Miller, 18, who police said is the last of the four teens accused of stealing Aparicio's cell phone and wallet after repeatedly punching and kicking the sergeant.

Tampa police had previously arrested Geroshe Lewis, Lerome Howard and Jared Richardson in the aggravated battery and robbery at 3 a.m. on May 13.

Aparicio had been assigned to MacDill Air Force Base about three weeks before the attack. It happened after his car broke down on Iowa Avenue and was caught on surveillance video near Renellie Drive.

Aparicio appeared in court Thursday for a hearing to determine whether one of three 18-year-olds arrested in the robbery would be released on bail. The hearing was canceled after the Public Defender's Office decided not to seek his release.

The soldier told the Tampa Bay Times he was grateful for the outpouring of support and was doing better, physically, but declined to elaborate or discuss the attack.

Anyone with information as to Miller's whereabouts has been asked to contact Tampa police at (813) 394-9053.

Marissa Lang can be reached at mlang@tampabay.com or (813) 226-3386.

Tampa Police issue warrant for fourth man wanted in violent attack near MacDill 05/25/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:33pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. James Wilder Jr. back at running back...in Canada

    Blogs

    Remember when former Plant High star and Florida State running back James Wilder Jr. announced he was switching to linebacker?

    That was short-lived, apparently.

  2. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas construction licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. What you need to know for Tuesday, June 27

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Former St. Petersburg mayor and current mayoral candidate Rick Baker, left, and St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman square off tonight in a debate. [Times]
  4. Once 'angry' about Obamacare, Republican David Jolly came to see it as 'safety net'

    Blogs

    Former Congressman David Jolly, who ran against Obamacare in 2013, said in an interview Monday night that he now considers it a "safety net."

  5. Five children hospitalized after chlorine release at Tampa pool store

    Accidents

    Five children were sickened at a pool store north of Tampa on Monday after a cloud of chlorine was released, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.