Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa police officer killed in Sulphur Springs

TAMPA — A police officer was gunned down Wednesday night in Sulphur Springs, and died despite efforts by a patrol sergeant who performed CPR on the wounded man on the sidewalk of Nebraska Avenue.

The attacker ran through a park at Yukon Street and hid in a back yard, officials said. Police dogs tracked him there, and he gave up without resistance.

Just before 10 p.m., the officer, Cpl. Mike Roberts, responded to a call about a suspicious person, and approached a man pushing a shopping cart along Nebraska Avenue around E Arctic Street.

Assistant Chief Jane Castor said the 11-year Tampa police veteran and the man with the cart quickly got into a violent confrontation. Roberts, 38, chased the man across the street, but the man broke free and ran back to his cart.

There, the man pulled a gun out of his backpack, and hit the officer in the head with it several times, then drew back and pulled the trigger.

Roberts had on a bulletproof vest, but the slug caught him in the arm, Castor said. It slipped through his arm and lodged in his chest.

The officer had radioed in that he was on the scene with the suspicious person, and the dispatcher asked him again and again if he was all right.

When he didn't answer, she dispatched backup, Castor said.

The first to arrive was a sergeant, who saw Roberts down and ran to him. Then he saw the shooter pointing an AR-15 at him.

Castor said the sergeant took cover behind a Dumpster, and the man ran away. He then rushed to his fellow officer and started performing CPR while other police converged on the scene and chased after the shooter.

Ernie Allen, 49, was walking home from the dog track and encountered the aftermath of the shooting. He said about 20 police cars roared down Nebraska Avenue and an officer was doing CPR on a man stretched out on the pavement.

An ambulance took Roberts to Tampa General Hospital's trauma center, where he died, police said. He is survived by his wife and a 3-year-old son.

Castor said the man with the shopping cart had been heavily armed. Police found two 9mm Glocks, a .22 caliber pistol and the AR-15 assault rifle in his possessions. The cart was full of military gear.

Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio and police Chief Steve Hogue went to the hospital to meet with the officer's family, Castor said.

Castor said she had been on her way home when she heard the call go out, "Emergency. Officer injured.'' She arrived about 10 minutes after the incident.

Asked about the source of the weapons in the possession of a man pushing a shopping cart, she said he had a receipt from Fort Bragg, N.C., for the purchase of all the weapons.

He is the 27th Tampa police officer to die in the line of duty. According to police records, Master Police Officer Lois Marrero was the last officer shot in the line of duty, on July 6, 2001, and Detective Juan Serrano died in a car crash on Feb.25, 2006. He is the 17th Tampa police officer to be shot and killed in the line of duty.

Times staff writers Kameel Stanley and Ecton Theriot contributed.

Officials investigate the scene of the shooting of a police officer on Nebraska Avenue at E Arctic Street late Wednesday night.


Officials investigate the scene of the shooting of a police officer on Nebraska Avenue at E Arctic Street late Wednesday night.

Tampa police officer shot, killed

View Larger Map

Other Tampa officers killed in line of duty

Officer John (Jack) McCormick, Sept. 26, 1895

Capt. Samuel J. Carter, June 2, 1905

Officer James Ronco, May 27, 1916

Officer Henry R. Lett, Sept. 24, 1922

Sgt. Thomas M. Chevis, April 7, 1938

Officer Bryan A. Reese, Aug. 29, 1935

Det. Joe Nance, Oct. 1, 1939

Det. Arthur L. Berry, Jan. 31, 1941

Det. Lester H. Henley, April 11, 1941

Officer Richard S. Booth, Nov. 28, 1943

Officer Morris D. Lopez, July 9, 1949

Officer Carl F. Chastain, Feb. 12, 1958

Officer Rolla L. Standau, Nov. 29, 1963

Officer William D. Krikava, Jan. 1, 1965

Corp. John R. Collier, Dec. 5, 1970

Det. Kenneth D. Berlin Jr., Sept. 27, 1975

Sgt. Richard Lee Cloud, Oct. 23, 1975

Officer Anthony W. Williams, Nov. 3, 1975

Det. Gerald A. Rauft , July 24, 1981

Sgt. Gary S. Pricher, Nov. 4, 1983

Officer Porfirio Soto Jr., Dec. 30, 1988

Officer Norris Epps Jr., Jan. 18, 1995

Det. Randy Bell, May 19, 1998

Det. Rick Childers, May 19, 1998

Master Patrol Officer Lois Marrero, July 6, 2001

Det. Juan Serrano on Feb. 25, 2006

Tampa police officer killed in Sulphur Springs 08/19/09 [Last modified: Friday, August 21, 2009 6:36pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Winter Haven police investigating armed robbery at Dollar General


    WINTER HAVEN — Police are investigating an armed robbery Friday night of a Dollar General store on W Lake Ruby Drive.

  2. Rowdies settle for draw at home


    ST. PETERSBURG — The good news for the Rowdies is that they still haven't lost a game at Al Lang Stadium since late April. The bad news is they had to settle for a 1-1 tie against Ottawa on Saturday night in front of 6,710 sweaty fans.

  3. Bats come to life, but Rays' freefall continues (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The six runs seemed like a ton, just the second time the Rays scored that many in a single game during their two-plus week numbing stretch of offensive impotency, and in a home game in nearly two months.

    Lucas Duda connects for a two-run home run in the sixth, getting the Rays within 7-5. A Logan Morrison home run in the ninth made it 7-6, but Tampa Bay couldn’t complete the comeback.
  4. 'Free speech rally' cut short after massive counterprotest


    BOSTON — Thousands of demonstrators chanting anti-Nazi slogans converged Saturday on downtown Boston in a boisterous repudiation of white nationalism, dwarfing a small group of conservatives who cut short their planned "free speech rally" a week after a gathering of hate groups led to bloodshed in Virginia.

    Thousands of people march against a “free speech rally” planned Saturday in Boston. About 40,000 people were in attendance.
  5. Police pull unconscious New Port Richey man from SUV in Cotee River


    NEW PORT RICHEY — Police rescued an unconscious driver whose sport utility vehicle plunged into the Cotee River on Saturday.