Tampa woman dies after rescue from burning house

TAMPA — An 85-year-old woman who was rescued from a Thanksgiving Day house fire died a day later, Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Bill Wade said Monday.

Frances Andrews Baker was unconscious when she was found inside her burning home just after 4 p.m. Nov. 27.

Wade said she was treated for severe smoke inhalation and taken to Tampa General Hospital, where she died the next day.

Baker lived at 1915 E 18th Ave. for 44 years. Fire marshal's investigators said the fire was started by an electrical failure of a portable radio on the stove top. The radio's plastic casing melted, filling the home with black smoke and causing $45,000 damage.

There was no smoke alarm in Baker's home, Wade said.

Baker's death was the fourth fire-related fatality in Tampa this year, Wade said. Including Baker's, two of the deaths could have been prevented had the homes been equipped with working smoke detectors, Wade said.

Anyone who cannot afford a smoke alarm may call their local fire department for information about a free giveaway program. Also, elderly or disabled people who cannot maintain or install an alarm may call Tampa Fire Rescue at (813) 274-8241 for help.

Tampa woman dies after rescue from burning house 12/01/08 [Last modified: Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:20pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...