Clear78° WeatherClear78° Weather

Update: USF police say there will be no criminal charges in gunman scare

UPDATE, 2:11 p.m. : USF police Sgt. Mike Klingebiel said that while the investigation into Friday's gunman threat was briefly reopened, detectives have closed it again after leads that might have resulted in criminal charges went nowhere.

"As of this morning, I have word the investigation is complete and there will be no criminal charges," Klingebiel said.

Klingebiel said an earlier statement from a campus spokeswoman that the case had been reopened were based on old information in a case that had a rapidly changing status.

TAMPA — University of South Florida police have reopened an investigation into Friday's threat of an on-campus gunman.

Over the weekend, police interviewed a suspect but did not release his name due to medical issues.

The man was held under the Baker Act, a law that allows people to be taken for a mental health examination if they're considered a danger to themselves or others.

USF spokeswoman Lara Wade said that over the weekend police developed new information regarding the case and have reopened the matter, calling it an ongoing criminal investigation. She referred questions to USF police, who could not be immediately reached.

The man touched off a lock down and manhunt shortly after noon Friday by telling a crisis center operator that he was carrying a gun on campus.

Before he hung up, he said he was in a parking lot outside USF's Bio-Science Building.

In the two hours that followed, police established perimeters and combed the campus. Students were warned by a text message blast and emergency sirens to stay inside. No gunman was found.

But the caller was detained early Saturday for mental evaluation and questioned by police.

Update: USF police say there will be no criminal charges in gunman scare 07/29/09 [Last modified: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:25pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...