The Pasco Sheriff's Office has released surveillance video that they hope will prompt tips about two incidents of fireworks being set off at two homes in the Ballantrae community Wednesday night.
One of the fireworks started a fire on the porch of one home that caused at least $5,000 in damage, authorities said.
About 9:30 p.m., a 42-year-old man inside a home at 17514 Glenapp Drive smelled smoke, opened the front door and saw flames, a report states. After the man put the fire out with wet towels, he saw a firework on the ground. He was not injured, authorities said.
The suspect was seen on a home video surveillance system a few minutes later at a nearby home, at 17728 Glenapp Drive, lighting a firework fuse, ringing the doorbell and running away. The fuse went out and the firework failed to go off, the Sheriff's Office said. The suspect appeared to flee in a silver Dodge Neon.
Detectives believe that after looking at the video the suspects were intentionally trying to injure the homeowners by ringing the door bell.
Tobin said the investigation continues. Anyone with information about the case can call (877-662-7766) or (813) 929-2750.