Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Doctor faces more patient accusations in Largo

Dr. Kayode Sotonwa, the Largo doctor accused of molesting nine patients over the past few months, now faces eight additional similar allegations, police said Thursday.

After news stories about Sotonwa's two arrests last month, Largo police received more complaints from other patients.

Lt. Mike Loux said the complainants were female patients who said Sotonwa fondled their breasts. Eight misdemeanor battery accusations have been referred to the State Attorney's Office, which will decide whether to charge Sotonwa, 42, further.

Sotonwa has pleaded not guilty, and his attorney, Peter Sartes, said all of the allegations are baseless. Sotonwa always made sure to have a nurse or his wife present when he examined female patients, Sartes said.

Sartes attributed the 17 total complaints to a "herd mentality."

"This is law enforcement contacting anybody and everybody," Sartes said. "Basically, they're making these people believe that routine proper medical examinations are somehow inappropriate."

Sotonwa, of Clearwater, continues to practice at his office in Largo, Sartes said.

The Florida Department of Health initiated an independent investigation, but Sotonwa's license is still active, Sartes said.

Jonathan Abel can be reached at jabel@sptimes.com or (727) 445-4157.

Doctor faces more patient accusations in Largo 05/07/08 [Last modified: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:39pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Florida education news: Budgets, principals, vouchers and more

    Blogs

    VETO TIME? Gov. Rick Scott weighs advice on whether to reject the Legislature's education budget. • Pasco County school officials

  2. British Prime Minister May calls Manchester bombing 'a callous terrorist attack'

    Public Safety

    MANCHESTER, England — British Prime Minister Theresa May says that it is "beyond doubt" that Britain and the city of Manchester have fallen victim to "a callous terrorist attack."

    Emergency services work at Manchester Arena after reports of an explosion at the venue during an Ariana Grande gig in Manchester, England Monday, May 22, 2017. Several people have died following reports of an explosion Monday night at an Ariana Grande concert in northern England, police said. A representative said the singer was not injured.  [Peter Byrne | PA via AP]
  3. Trump condemns 'evil losers' who carried out Manchester concert attack

    Politics

    BETHLEHEM, West Bank — President Donald Trump condemned the "evil losers" responsible for the deadly attack on concert-goers in England Tuesday and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence.

    President Donald Trump pauses as he makes a statement on the terrorist attack in Manchester, after a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, in the West Bank City of Bethlehem. [Associated Press]
  4. Tampa Bay Times journalists wins 17 Green Eyeshade Awards

    Human Interest

    Tampa Bay Times journalists placed first in seven categories of the prestigious Green Eyeshade awards, which honors outstanding journalism in the Southeast.