LAND O' LAKES — An eighth home was condemned Friday near the mammoth sinkhole in Lake Padgett Estates.
The house at 3203 Canal Place was condemned, following five others earlier this month. Another two homes were destroyed when the sinkhole opened in mid-July.
Damage observed in the affected houses included buckled floors, cracked countertops and foundation fissures, county officials said.
The first phase of sinkhole cleanup — which involved removing debris and stabilizing the crater's banks — wrapped up on Sunday, according to the county. The cost of this phase is expected to come in at around $1 million, about $300,000 below the amount approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
Ceres Environmental Services used 758 dump trucks of uncrushed limestone to stabilize the hole. To grab the debris, contractors floated a small platform barge equipped with a backhoe inside it. The pit's stagnant water also was removed and decontaminated.
Eleven homes were initially evacuated when the sinkhole opened on July 14. Some families were later allowed to return.
The next steps for remediating the 260-foot-wide hole will be discussed by the County Commissioners at a later date, Pasco spokesman Doug Tobin said.
TAMPA BAY TIMES SPECIAL REPORT: THE PASCO COUNTY SINKHOLE