Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Family becomes ill from fumes while using grill to stay warm

ST. PETERSBURG — A family of three was sickened Sunday by carbon monoxide poisoning while using a charcoal barbecue grill to heat their home, fire officials said.

A 77-year-old man, his 72-year-old wife and their 41-year-old daughter were treated by St. Petersburg Fire Rescue paramedics, then taken to St. Petersburg General Hospital.

According to St. Petersburg Fire, the family was using the grill to heat their home at 1201 32nd St. N because the electricity was out. After using the grill as a heat source for about 12 hours, the family became sick and firefighters responded just after 12:30 p.m.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, said St. Petersburg Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Joel Granata.

"That's exactly what they were experiencing — dizziness, nauseousness, light-headedness," Granata said.

A St. Petersburg Fire Rescue hazardous materials team measured the carbon monoxide at 176 parts per million, well over the 100 ppm that could be lethal, Granata said.

The hazmat team ventilated the structure.

It was unclear Sunday afternoon why the family's power was out.

Family becomes ill from fumes while using grill to stay warm 01/10/10 [Last modified: Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. PolitiFact Florida: How would Florida fare in Graham-Cassidy health care bill?

    National

    Following a sharp rebuke by late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., hit the airwaves to defend his bill that would undo much of the Affordable Care Act.

    Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La.
  2. What ever happened to the Zika epidemic?

    Health

    Remember Zika?

    The last time Gov. Rick Scott warned Floridians about the potential threat of the mosquito-borne virus was in July, when he urged residents to still be vigilant against bug bites and standing water. At the time, doctors and researchers were bracing for what was supposed to be another active summer …

    Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are responsible for transmitting Zika. Cases of the virus are down dramatically in Florida.
  3. Pinellas licensing board needs cash. Will the county give it any?

    Local Government

    LARGO –– The grand jury that said Pinellas County should not take over the troubled construction licensing board also said the county should bail out the agency before it goes broke in 2018.

    Pinellas County Commission chair Janet Long isn't keen on the idea of the county loaning money to keep the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board afloat. The county has no say over the independent agency, which could run out of funding in 2018. [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]
  4. Is the Bundt cake back? How retro baked goods are becoming trendy again

    Cooking

    Once there were grunts and slumps, buckles and brown betties. Oh, and pandowdies and sonkers. In the olden days, people routinely made angel food cakes, tomato soup cakes and hummingbird cakes. These were not Duncan Hines mixes, but rather confections made from scratch following yellowed and stained recipes in your …

    Nothing Bundt Cakes in Tampa offers a variety of options, from tiny “bundtinis” and 10-inch cakes that serve 18 to 20 people. Core flavors include lemon, marble, red velvet and chocolate-chocolate chip, with featured flavors like confetti.
  5. Craig Butz, executive director of Pepin Academies and former professional hockey player, died in a crash with a boat Saturday. His daughter Teagan, 4, remained in critical condition Sunday afternoon. [WILL VRAGOVIC   |   TIMES, 2013]