Clear47° WeatherClear47° Weather

81-year-old woman escapes Tuesday morning St. Petersburg house fire

ST. PETERSBURG – An 81-year-old woman escaped a fire unharmed at her home before noon Tuesday, authorities said.

St. Petersburg Fire Rescue responded to 7247 Organdy Drive N at 11:23 a.m., authorities said. The crews entered the smoke-filled building to extinguish the fire and search for possible victims.

The fire was found in the kitchen and extinguished in less than 10 minutes.

Bonnie Gettys, 81, was at home when the fired started but made it out of the house as firefighters arrived. The Red Cross is helping her find a place to stay.

Investigators determined the fire started after an electrical outlet behind a stove shorted. The home also did not have a working smoke alarm.

Officials said the property is worth $101,000 and the fire caused about $20,000 in damages.

81-year-old woman escapes Tuesday morning St. Petersburg house fire 11/03/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:58pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...