Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Adult community residents evacuated from Tampa building

TAMPA — Residents of an adult community were evacuated Friday afternoon after a fire was reported in an apartment, fire rescue said.

The blaze was reported about 12:30 p.m. inside a three-story building at 4815 N Macdill Ave., Tampa Fire Rescue said.

When firefighters arrived, they discovered heavy smoke. Residents then evacuated and more firefighters arrived to extinguish the flames.

No injuries were reported. The fire was caused by a small child trying to light the candles near a prayer area of his grandmother's home, authorities said. The resident will be staying with family.

Adult community residents evacuated from Tampa building 01/18/13 [Last modified: Friday, January 18, 2013 5:55pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours