TAMPA — A couch in a supposedly vacant unit at Waterman's Crossing Apartments caught fire Thursday in a suspected arson, resulting in a two-alarm blaze.
Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Bill Wade said there were no known injuries as a result of the fire that was reported at 11:28 a.m. at 4515 N Rome Avenue.
Firefighters extinguished the flames within 15 minutes of arriving on the scene, Wade said.
Apartment G308 was supposed to be empty, a manager told a Tampa fire investigator. The damage was isolated to one apartment and was estimated at about $25,000.
As recently as September, Waterman's Crossing, a 23-building, 403-unit complex, was cited for multiple fire code violations, including malfunctioning fire alarm systems. By December, Wade said, city inspectors found the complex to be in compliance.
An alarm was sounding when firefighters arrived on scene Thursday, Wade said.