TAMPA — Fire damaged at least four rooms Thursday morning at a mostly vacant motel at the corner of Gandy Boulevard and Dale Mabry Highway.
Fire crews were called to the blaze just before 8 a.m. at the Crosstown Inn, 3688 W Gandy Blvd., and found flames and smoke flowing from the doors and windows of several second-floor rooms. The fire was quickly extinguished.
A handful of people were staying at the motel. One was displaced, fire officials said.
Investigators determined the fire started from faulty electrical equipment in an air conditioning unit in one of the rooms, authorities said.