Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Authorities say cigarettes caused fatal Seminole fire

SEMINOLE — A fatal condo fire that killed a mother and her daughter a week ago was caused by cigarettes, authorities said Wednesday.

The blaze at Unit 143 at the Twin Oaks condominiums, 11200 102nd Ave N, on Feb. 2 started in a bedroom, Pinellas sheriff's officials said.

It was the same room where firefighters found the body of Marlene Schaffran, 72, who was in a wheelchair.

Schaffran's mother, Alice Haker, 97, was found unconscious outside the home. She died later at a hospital.

Authorities say cigarettes caused fatal Seminole fire 02/08/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:19pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours