Clear81° WeatherClear81° Weather

Candle starts fire that causes three to flee Tampa Palms townhome

TAMPA — A candle burning too close to a sofa started a fire that drove three people from a townhome Thursday night, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

Shortly before 9 p.m., fire crews responded to the report of a fire at the Faircrest Condominium Association in Tampa Palms.

Fire Rescue found smoke billowing from an upstairs window of Unit 902 at 5100 Burchette Road.

Firefighters made sure no one was trapped and got the fire under control in about 30 minutes.

A Tampa Fire Marshal's Office investigator said that Linda Berger, 45, James Wray, 42, and Courtney Johnson, 30, had been asleep in the townhouse but were awakened by a smoke detector. They saw smoke and fled.

An investigation found a candle in an upstairs room started the fire. No one was injured, and damage was estimated at $45,000.

Candle starts fire that causes three to flee Tampa Palms townhome 01/14/11 [Last modified: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:14am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...