weather unavailableweather unavailable
Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Carbon monoxide scare at Brandon apartment complex

BRANDON — Hillsborough County Fire Rescue temporarily cleared out some units at the Westchester Apartments on Sunday afternoon when firefighters detected increased carbon monoxide levels caused by an electric fragrance wax warmer.

Fire crews responded to the report of an alarm at 12:48 p.m. and entered an apartment where they found a Scentsy warmer plugged into a three-way plug splitter, and soot on the wall behind the unit.

The apartment was ventilated. A fire investigator confirmed the wax warmer caused the increased carbon monoxide levels. The heating unit inside of it malfunctioned.

The residents, who were not home, had a functioning carbon monoxide monitor.

Carbon monoxide scare at Brandon apartment complex 01/21/13 [Last modified: Monday, January 21, 2013 11:47am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours