weather unavailableweather unavailable
Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Cause of fire on Central Avenue in St. Pete may be electrical

ST. PETERSBURG — Investigators believe a fire that broke out Tuesday at a two-story commercial building may have originated with an electrical problem in a wall.

Crews were sent to 7024 Central Ave. at 3:17 p.m. When they arrived, smoke was showing from the first floor and firefighters had to open up exterior walls to reach the fire, said Lt. Joel Granata of St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue.

The fire traveled from the first floor to the attic. Firefighters used hand lines to extinguish it.

Granata said the building's owner, Julia McGinty, 51, of St. Petersburg, called 911 after smelling smoke.

No one was injured.

Lealman, South Pasadena, and Treasure Island fire departments assisted St. Petersburg firefighters, Granata said. Officials are still investigating, he said.

Cause of fire on Central Avenue in St. Pete may be electrical 05/25/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:51pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours