TAMPA — A child playing with a lighter on a bed sparked a fire that damaged an apartment complex Tuesday night, authorities said.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the two-story complex at 1582 Nuccio Parkway, according to Tampa Fire-Rescue.
Three children were in the house with an adult when the blaze started, according to officials. The woman, the mother of two of the children, was watching her kids and her friend's child while her friend went to the store.
While the friend was gone, her child started playing with the lighter.
Fire-rescue responded to the blaze at 8:57 p.m. and reported flames and heavy smoke coming from the first floor.
The three children and woman in the apartment where the fire started left when they heard smoke detectors, Tampa fire said. The American Red Cross will assist the family.
Fire-rescue kept the surrounding apartments from being damaged.