Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Church fire blamed on unattended candle

TAMPA — An unattended church candle sparked a small fire at the St. George Coptic Orthodox Church on Monday afternoon, leading police to temporarily shut down a portion of Busch Boulevard.

The fire at the 2135 W Busch Blvd. church started when a candle inside a religious cabinet fell over, burning the cabinet and its contents and activating a sprinkler system, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

The blaze was out by the time rescuers arrived.

Police said the right lane of westbound Busch Boulevard should be back open before 7 p.m.

Church fire blamed on unattended candle 04/04/11 [Last modified: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:29pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours