Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Early-morning fire sends St. Petersburg woman to hospital

ST. PETERSBURG – An early-morning fire at a home near North Kenwood killed a dog and sent a woman to the hospital, a fire official said.

The fire sparked in the bedroom of a home on the 3600 block of 22nd Avenue N just before 4:45 a.m., said St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue Lt. Joel Granata.

The stepdaughter of the homeowners, a married couple who left town for Sarasota, awoke to the barks of one of the couple's five dogs. She saw heavy smoke pouring from a bedroom and ran out through a sliding-glass door.

The woman, who officials have yet to name, was treated at Edward White Hospital for smoke inhalation but returned to the home Sunday afternoon. A Jack Russell terrier died in the garage of smoke inhalation.

Officials suspect an electrical short may have caused the fire.

Drew Harwell can be reached at

Early-morning fire sends St. Petersburg woman to hospital 10/10/10 [Last modified: Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours