TAMPA — An Orient Park family of seven was forced out of their home by a fire late Sunday night, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue reports.
It happened around 10:30 p.m. at 6229 Eugene Ave. Rescuers said the fire was caused by an overloaded electrical circuit. After they put out the fire, they found several devices plugged into a single outlet.
Jan McGuire, a spokeswoman for the American Red Cross's Tampa chapter, said the home is "pretty much gone." The family — five adults and two children ages 1 and 11 — will stay at a local motel for a few days while they find somewhere to live. McGuire said they were already in dire straights financially.
"Today is when it's really going to set in," she said.
One firefighter was treated by paramedics at the scene for a heat-related issue. He was not taken to the hospital, and no one else was injured.