Elderly woman slightly injured in kitchen fire at Palm Harbor home

PALM HARBOR — An 81-year-old woman suffered minor injuries Friday afternoon from a kitchen fire at her home at 431 Tampa Road.

According to Palm Harbor Fire and Rescue, Maxine Scott was heating oil in a frying pan on the stove to make french fries for lunch, when she went outside to speak with her husband.

When her grandson arrived a few minutes later, he saw the fire through the kitchen window.

The grandson grabbed a garden hose, went inside and tried to put the fire out. But the fire had already moved up to into the ceiling, said fire spokeswoman Liz Monforti.

Palm Harbor Fire and Rescue personnel were called around 12:45 p.m. and were able to bring the fire at the single-story home under control quickly, Monforti said.

Monforti declined to release the nature of Scott's injuries, citing privacy issues, but said they were minor and non-life threatening. She was treated by paramedics at the scene and did not need to be hospitalized.

Elderly woman slightly injured in kitchen fire at Palm Harbor home 04/30/10 [Last modified: Friday, April 30, 2010 5:48pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...