Overcast68° FULL FORECASTOvercast68° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Electrical fire damages Tampa house, destroys mobile home

Fire destroyed a mobile home on E Broadway Avenue on Monday morning. No one was injured.

Capt. Bill Wade | Tampa Fire Rescue

Fire destroyed a mobile home on E Broadway Avenue on Monday morning. No one was injured.

TAMPA — Fire damaged a home's porch and destroyed a nearby mobile home Monday morning. No one was injured.

The fire began about 8 a.m. at 5115 E Broadway Ave., where 69-year-old Shirley Raines has lived for about 20 years, said Tampa Fire Rescue spokesman Bill Wade. Raines' small house has a porch where she collects clothing and supplies for the homeless.

An electrical shortage in a porch light fixture seems to have sparked the blaze, Wade said.

Raines woke up to her dogs barking.

The fire soon spread to a mobile home next door, where 71-year-old Ray Thorton lives, Wade said. Thorton told investigators he had just returned home from a night shift as a security guard and gone to bed when his neighbors began pounding on his door.

The fire was out in a few minutes.

Thorton was able to escape safely, but his mobile home was destroyed, Wade said. Raines' porch was heavily damaged, and she likely will be temporarily displaced while workers repair her electrical problems.

Wade said the American Red Cross would help both residents with temporary shelter. Neither had insurance, Wade said.

Broadway Avenue between 50th and 52nd streets was closed in both directions for several hours. The road was back open by about 10:30 a.m.

Follow This Just In on Twitter.

Electrical fire damages Tampa house, destroys mobile home 03/29/10 [Last modified: Monday, March 29, 2010 12:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...