Electrical socket sparks a house fire in Carver City

TAMPA — An power outlet that began sparking as two little boys watched TV turned into blaze that damaged 75 percent of a Carver City home Friday afternoon, firefighters say.

The boys ages 5 and 7 were watching TV at 4213 W. Laurel St. when the plug fell out of the socket. Sparks flew as they plugged the TV back in, but the boys didn't tell their babysitter, 65-year-old Willie Lemon, until the outlet caught fire, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

Firefighters were able to subdue the flames in 15 minutes but the home still had an estimated $75,000 damage, according to a Fire Rescue news release.

No on was injured, and the two adults and two children who live in the house were receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

Electrical socket sparks a house fire in Carver City 06/26/09 [Last modified: Friday, June 26, 2009 8:21pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...