weather unavailableweather unavailable
Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Explosion, fire destroy Spring Hill home

SPRING HILL — A person swapping out propane tanks at his home Tuesday caused an explosion and fire when he relighted the pilot light on his stove, according to a Hernando County sheriff's report.

John Kalisz told investigators that he had replaced the propane tanks earlier Tuesday at the mobile home at 138 Travel Park Drive, Lot 203. He tried to ignite the heater in the home and saw it was not working. He reconnected the hoses to the tanks, and when he relighted the stove, there was an explosion.

Kalisz and Erin Nagel got out of the home without serious injury.

Spring Hill Fire Rescue official Tom Challis determined the fire, which destroyed the home, was an accident.

Explosion, fire destroy Spring Hill home 01/13/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours