Family hospitalized, residents displaced after Tampa rooming house fire

TAMPA — A family of three was hospitalized after a fire sparked at their home Tuesday night, fire rescue said.

The blaze was reported at 1023 E 19th Ave. just before midnight at a two-story wood-frame home used as a rooming house, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

Within 30 minutes, the fire on the second floor was under control. A man, woman and child were upstairs when the fire began. To escape the house, they passed through a smoke-filled room. They evacuated before about 30 firefighters arrived, but had to be hospitalized. Their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, fire rescue said.

Two other people living in the house also evacuated and were unhurt.

The residents will not be able to return to their home immediately. They stayed with family Tuesday night.

The cause of the blaze was determined to be electrical, fire rescue said. Damage to the home was estimated at $35,000.

Family hospitalized, residents displaced after Tampa rooming house fire 06/12/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:25pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...