Fire destroys Shady Hills home, sends 3 to hospital

SHADY HILLS — A malfunctioning oxygen generator sparked a fire that destroyed a home in Kent Groves and sent three people to the hospital Monday morning, according to Pasco Fire Rescue officials.

A man in his late 40s and a man and woman in their 60s were able to get out of the burning home in time but they required medical treatment for smoke inhalation, said Assistant Fire Chief Mike Ciccarello.

He did not release their names or the extent of their injuries. Property records show the home at 12125 Barbara Road is owned by Jimmie and Brenda Deskins. The 1,800-square-foot home caught fire about 10:30 a.m. The blaze was under control by 11 a.m., Ciccarello said.

Strong winds caused the fire to spread faster than usual and the home could not be saved.

"It's pretty much destroyed," he said. "The fire got under the attic and burned the roof off."

The three victims were the only ones inside the home, Ciccarello said. He did not believe they had any pets.

After their release from the hospital, the three will stay with relatives. "They have some family nearby. They advised that they would be taken care of," Ciccarello said.

Helen Anne Travis can be reached at htravis@sptimes.com or (813) 435-7312.

Fire destroys Shady Hills home, sends 3 to hospital 12/08/08 [Last modified: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:37pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...