St. Petersburg fire hospitalizes man, destroys house

ST. PETERSBURG — A fire that started in a kitchen destroyed a house and sent a man to the hospital Sunday morning.

According to St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue, the man occupying the house at 4056 18th Ave. S started cooking but then fell asleep with two stove burners still on. While he slept, a fire began in the kitchen and made its way to the attic.

Firefighters received a call at 5:16 a.m. When they arrived at the one-story, 2,919-square-foot house, it was engulfed in thick smoke and flames. They found the occupant leaving a side door and transported him to Bayfront Hospital. The 41-year-old, whose name was not released, suffered from smoke inhalation.

The house did not have a smoke alarm The man living there told firefighters he'd woken up from choking on smoke.

Smoke alarms are free in St. Petersburg. Residents who need one can call (727) 893-SAFE.

St. Petersburg fire hospitalizes man, destroys house 03/10/13 [Last modified: Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:32pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...