SPRING HILL — A fire that apparently started in a garage quickly gutted a home in Spring Hill on Friday evening.
"There was heavy, heavy smoke and fire conditions in the garage when we arrived" shortly after 5 p.m., said Kevin Carroll, assistant chief of Spring Hill Fire Rescue.
There was also "smoke coming out under the eaves all around the house," he said.
Though firefighters quickly doused the worst of the flames, they spent another 20 minutes extinguishing smaller blazes and smoldering spots inside.
Though a shell of the house, at 1420 Deering Ave., remains, he said, the trusses have been weakened and the interior is damaged by smoke.
"I'd have to say it's a total loss," he said. Witnesses said the house was struck by lightning, but that has not been confirmed as the cause of the fire.
Carroll did not release the names of the people living at the house, though he said the fire started after they made a brief trip to a nearby hardware store. According to county property records, the house is owned by a land trust. It was built in 2005 and valued for tax purposes at about $137,000.