Lightning may have sparked house fire
One person was sent to the hospital after Hillsborough Fire Rescue units extinguished a fire caused by a possible lightning strike Monday night, authorities said.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire about 8:15 p.m. at 15255 Bellamy Road. Firefighters saw smoke coming from the attic. The crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire.
One patient, who was outside washing a car when the lightning struck, was transported to the hospital for discomfort. The person was not struck by the lightning, but reported tingling and other difficulties, fire rescue spokeswoman Nacole Revette said.
The National Weather Service recommends people go inside or seek shelter when they hear thunder, as it is a signal that lightning is close enough to strike. People should stay in a safe shelter for at least 30 minutes after they hear thunder.
If individuals are inside, they are encouraged to stay off corded phones, computers or other electrical equipment that puts them in direct contact with electricity. Plumbing, such as sinks and faucets, should also be avoided, along with windows, doors and porches.