Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Fire that started in kitchen doused at Carrollwood townhome

CARROLLWOOD — Flames charred the entire first floor of a townhome during a two-alarm blaze Thursday afternoon.

Hillsborough County Fire Rescue said no one was injured in the fire at 14220 Village Terrace Dr., and crews evacuated other homes on the six-house row as a precaution. The house sits in between two homes that were not burned in the flames.

Damon Solano, a Polk County detention deputy, said he has been renting the townhouse for four years.

He said he was boiling water for eggs when he went upstairs and his circuit breaker tripped a couple of minutes later. When Solano rushed back downstairs, he saw the decorative wood next to the stove on fire and creating plumes of thick black smoke.

He grabbed his chihuahua and ran to a neighbor's where he called 911, he said.

Officials from Hillsborough County Fire Rescue said the fire started around 2:30, and they responded with 12 units and 30 firefighters. The blaze was out by 3:35 p.m.

There is no word on an estimate of the damage.

Fire that started in kitchen doused at Carrollwood townhome 12/17/09 [Last modified: Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:23pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours