TAMPA -- A firefighter was taken to Tampa General Hospital with a minor unspecified injury after crews extinguished a blaze that damaged a central Tampa home, authorities said.
Tampa Fire Rescue responded to 7001 N Oregon Ave. just after 6:30 p.m. and found flames and heavy smoke coming from the home. The fire was under control by 6:50 p.m., Fire Rescue said. No residents were injured. Damage to the home and contents is estimated at $15,000.
Officials believe the fire was started by the failure of an electrical strip that several items plugged into it underneath a computer desk. Authorities said weather may have contributed, and that witnesses reported lightning strikes nearby just before the fire started.