Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Fireworks being recycled caused stubborn Tampa fire

TAMPA — A Monday morning fire at a recycling plant that sent up billows of smoke that could be seen for miles was caused by a container of fireworks, investigators said Wednesday.

The Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Investigations Unit determined that the material ignited when it was being processed for recycling. The agency classified the fire as accidental.

The fire, at One Steel Recycling at 4943 Port Sutton Road, required more than 75 people working for 19 hours to extinguish. No one was injured.

Fireworks being recycled caused stubborn Tampa fire 02/20/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:32pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours