Flames from fireplace spark blaze that destroys Pinellas Park home

A raging fireplace sparked a blaze that torched a Pinellas Park home Monday evening, fire officials said.

Firefighters from the Pinellas Park, Largo and Lealman fire departments arrived at the one-story house at 5770 109th Ave. just before 8 p.m. and began fighting the blaze from the outside. They put the two-alarm fire out within a half-hour, but the home was a total loss, said Pinellas Park Fire Department Lt. Gary Berkheimer.

Smoke from the fire was so thick that motorists reported driving through patches of it several blocks away on U.S. 19.

A resident of the home was able to escape on her own with no injury, Berkheimer said. Police were diverting traffic off 58th Street.

Flames from fireplace spark blaze that destroys Pinellas Park home 01/04/10 [Last modified: Monday, January 4, 2010 10:39pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...